Monday, November 14, 2011

30 minute kitchen renovation

To make room for the bedroom wall, the fake wall above the kitchen cabinets had to start coming down.


I was anxious to clean above the cabinets and start storing things in to cutesy baskets. At first my husband was clearly not buying that this was a high priority job in his long list of things to do. However, I did finally convince Mr. Bushman that it would be practical to remove the fake rock above the cabinets, as it would add valuable storage space. Here's some pictures of it before (when only a bit had been removed to make room for the bedroom wall):




We decided now would be a good time to go ahead and tear down ALL the ugly fake rock, even the stuff put up as a back splash. Here's a close-up of it:


I pried off the back splash board, while Mr. Bushman removed the false wall above the cabinets:



Guess what I found behind the ugly rock back splash? That's right! Ugly wallpaper. So I got to work scraping this stuff:


Here's the finished kitchen. As usual, there is still more work to do like removing the ceiling fan and light fixtures, painting, etc. But, I think it is still a BIG improvement. Especially considering it took no money and only 30 minutes of team effort!



So, what do you think? Did we make it better?

3 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! I wish we could utilize our above cabinet space, but there's an air duct in ours from when the central air/heat was added. You & Mr. Bushman are seriously impressing me w/ your DIY skills!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Mr. Bushman are a great team. I'm impressed. It really opens the kitchen up and makes it look bigger. Mema

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stumbled across your blog, it's awesome, great inspiration :-) Just wanted to give you a tip on a complementary home design tool, it's free and really fun :-) www.findatrade.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
blog comments powered by Disqus