Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Free Organic Fruits and Vegetables

I wanted to share some of the free food items I've scored over the past season.

Through a  local email group I'd joined, I got invited to pick some free veggies from a gentleman who had hurt his knee and wouldn't be able to harvest the stuff he'd planted. Perhaps you remember me mentioning it this post. Here's my portion of the bounty we picked:

Turnips, turnip greens, kale, sweet potatoes, cabbage, leeks and arugula

A couple weeks before that I had a friend offer me some free organic pears

I bought the bushel of apples for $13.50 but the pears were free!
We had pear pancakes, pear cornbread, pear fruit crisp and pear bread! All of the recipes I got from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I substitute 1/4 cup of pureed fruit for every egg. Then I cut the sugar and oil in half. This is something I generally do with all baked goods recipes to make them healthier and more moist.

Pear bread

Anyone else get some great fall deals or freebies?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, SO jealous of your pears! Last year my uncle sent me some and I made heavenly spiced pear jam that we just ran out of!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
blog comments powered by Disqus