Thursday, December 15, 2011

The CHEAPEST Breakfast

My husband loves oatmeal. On a typical morning he gets up, boils water and fixes himself a HUGE bowl of oatmeal. It seems like he just throws stuff in it but I think his usual adds are: sorghum and jam.

From Sandhill Farms


Hubby's (more expensive) version


So far, I just hadn't been able to make oatmeal from our quick oats like he does. In fact, until recently the oatmeal I made kind-of stank. I longed for the oatmeal my mother used to make--that is, the kind that comes in the individual packets. But finally . . .I figured out how to make them myself! Now I, too, can enjoy the cheapest breakfast I can think of! Here's my recipe for making my own "oatmeal packs":

The ingredients


1/3 cup quick oats
pinch of salt
1/2 TBS sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
a small hand full of raisins
1/4 cup water (or more, according to taste)


Without and with raisins

We bought our oats in a 25 lb bag as part of our first bulk foods order. It is labeled "Organic Rolled Quick Oats" and costs $18.41. Since there's 4 3/4 cups of oats in one pound, that means one pound of oats has a little more than 14 servings. Having paid $ 0.74/lb for my oats, a serving size costs me $.05.  Once I add the other ingredients, I estimate that this "oatmeal packet" recipe (with raisins) costs less than $.10 a serving. If you omit the raisins, its even cheaper!

The finished product



So, I ask you: is there a cheaper breakfast than my 10 cent oatmeal recipe? If so, I'd love to know about it! Believe me, I'm always looking to save money!

6 comments:

  1. I love your blog!

    But, how long does it goes before you have to eat again? And do you tend to have a high blodsugar? My problem is that if I eat oatmeal I am starving again at 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have high blood sugar that I know of. We usually eat breakfast about 9am and don't eat again until about 1pm. Lately I've been enjoy peanut butter oatmeal. I make it with 1/3 cup of oats, 1 big spoonful of natural P.B., a pinch of salt and a 1/2 TBS of sugar. I love it and the P.B. REALLY fills me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *enjoying :) Thanks for reading, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also add sliced bananas or chopped apples to oatmeal. Any nuts or any sweetener

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is honey, cinnamon, and blueberries the best! The frozen blueberries thaw in the hot oatmeal so I don't have to worry about having the fresh blueberries on hand. But a close second is definitely pb and brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
blog comments powered by Disqus