Monday, January 23, 2012

Cheap Fruit Leather

Remember Fruit Rolls-Ups? These were a staple in my childhood diet but my kids haven't had them much because they are filled with all kinds of weird ingredients. A couple of times, I've bought them all natural fruit leather strips, but even on sale the least I paid for them was $.40 each. When someone told me how to make them homemade, I screamed at her because I couldn't believe how simple it was! If you don't already know, you won't believe what's in them.
Ready?
Yep, this is it.
That's right! Applesauce. They are dehydrated applesauce! Too easy, right? You can add other pureed fruits for a different flavor, but this is it! Since I bought my applesauce in bulk, these cost about $.08 a serving. During the times of the year I that I can get my hands on some free, homegrown fruit, I could make them for FREE!

You can make them by using an oven on its lowest setting. However, as I bragged here, I was able to pick up a Ronco food dehydrator at the consignment store for $18, so that's what I used.

Spread the sauce how in a thin layer. You should probably do it more evenly than this. :)
Since I never time things, I'm not sure how long they took--somewhere around a day and half. You can tell when they are done because they LOOK like fruit leather. Sort of transparent and darkened like this:

See? They can't wait to get their little hands on them!
So that's it! What are ways that you eat fruit out of season affordably?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! I bet the kiddos are going crazy!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I'm sure they'll eat it up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
blog comments powered by Disqus