Friday, January 20, 2012

Even a cheapskate like me needs a vacation!

I was reading one of the blogs that I follow, which is about a straw bale Bed and Breakfast (B&B) called the Milkweed Mercantile and I saw that they have opened up registration for their 2012 canning seminars! Since I spend a lot of time talking with you about how I don't spend money, I thought it might be fun to tell you about a time when I did, to balance things out.

When I go on vacation you can be sure that I plan to get my money's worth! My favorite ways to get away are affordable, relaxing and educational. The summer before last, my girlfriends and I loaded up a van and headed off to a weekend canning seminar located inside Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage in Rutledge, MO. We enjoyed great organic food and stayed in a comfortable room at an off-the-grid B&B! It was my first introduction to composting toilets, harvesting rain water for drinking, straw bale buildings and more! While we were there we got to take a tour of the Ecovillage, learn about sustainability, and do some canning!

Included in the cost of the canning seminar, we were given an apron, the items we canned, a book about canning and canning supplies! It was a great deal! Here's me having fun canning:



I'm at the end of the table facing the camera.




Our salsa right before canning it.






For "graduation", we got vegan carrot cake! YUM!


 And here's me in our beautiful room at the B&B . . .

Those are my dirty feet on the right. :)
So, in short, we had a blast and learned a lot and, believe it or not, I spent some money (although not much considering all I got in return). If you think this looks like fun and want to make your own reservation, visit: http://www.milkweedmercantile.com/ If canning isn't your thing, they have other workshops and seminars, or you can just stay at the B&B and relax!


What's your best vacation on the cheap?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
blog comments powered by Disqus