Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade Toothpaste

My family buys natural toothpaste. We used to pay about $5 a tube for it when we lived in the city. Since we moved we were excited to learn our local Mennonite store carries it for $3.50! Still, it seems like we go through quite a bit of toothpaste and I've had to buy some at least once a month.

I remembered a couple of people I've known saying they brush their teeth with baking soda. Honestly, this struck me as kind of gross. I like strong minty breath that provides evidence of teeth brushing. However, I came across a local place that sells essential oils pretty cheap and I was able to pick up some peppermint oil. I decided to mix it with the baking soda and see what happens.

baking soda and peppermint oil
I filled a little glass condiment container I have about 1/3 the way full of baking soda and added about 5 drops of peppermint oil. Then I mixed it up with a spoon.

All mixed up
I was really disappointed by how it looked after mixing because I expected it to be more paste-like. At the same time, I was excited about the powerful minty smell. (Natural toothpaste typically doesn't usually have a super strong, minty smell.) I went straight to the bathroom to test it out.

Wow! I can't tell you the last time I was so excited by a product, especially one I made! It works AMAZINGLY! The baking soda gets all the build up off my teeth (from my 2 cup a day coffee habit) and my breath was SO minty fresh! I absolutely love it.

Even if it cost the same as store bought, I would still use this homemade toothpaste. Of course, this stuff is a fraction of the cost. How much, you ask? Well, I probably bought a box of baking soda for less than $1 and my peppermint oil was less than $3, so I would say that for $4, I will have enough toothpaste makings to last my family for at least a year. Since I was spending almost $4 a month, that means homemade toothpaste is 1/12 the cost!

Okay this picture is dorky, but MAN do my teeth feel clean!
Has anyone else made homemade toothpaste? Did you also think brushing with baking soda might be weird? Have I convinced you that homemade toothpaste is the way to go?

UPDATE: Please read my experiences after using homemade baking soda toothpaste for two months. 

1 comment:

  1. I've gotta try this! I wonder if adding a small amount of water would make it more paste like?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
blog comments powered by Disqus