Friday, February 24, 2012

Homemade Vegetable Broth Powder

Vegetable broth and vegetable bouillon are so expensive! Not only that, they have tons of sodium and preservatives, and they are often hydrogenated. Since we Bushmans avoid hydrogenation like the plague, I've learned to make my own, more frugal version which I call vegetable broth powder. Here's the recipe:


Get an old, clean jar and fill it with the following:

2 cups nutritional yeast
1/4 cup sea salt
2 TBS onion powder
1 TBS turmeric
2 tsp marjoram
2 tsp celery salt
2 tsp savory or sage
2 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp parsley

Ingredients before shaking
Put the lid on and shake the jar until your broth powder is well mixed. Don't forget to label it before putting it in the cabinet. It keeps a long time and you don't want to forget what it is!



When you are ready to use simply add 1 TBS broth powder to about 2 cups water (adjust for a stronger/weaker flavor). Now you never need to buy broth again!

Does anyone else make their own broth or broth powder?

(I'm linking this post up to the Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways Blog Hop.)

1 comment:

  1. Please tell me about nutritional yeast. I think it's the second or third time you've referenced it, and I'm intrigued but don't feel like dealing with Google. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
blog comments powered by Disqus