Monday, April 30, 2012

Baking soda toothpaste doesn't work for me

You probably remember me raving about how clean my teeth felt after trying homemade toothpaste.
Now that I've been using it for a little over two months, I've noticed its making my teeth sensitive. I kept asking my husband if he was experiencing the same thing and he kept saying no . . .  .until this week.
So, back to our old natural, store-bought toothpaste! :(

Photo credit: Walterrrrr


I think I'll keep the baking soda toothpaste for deep cleaning and whitening, but use it no more than once a month. Here's some of the reasons why:


  • Baking soda has made my teeth feel very clean. When I run my tongue over my teeth, it is squeaky clean like I just came from the dentist.
  • The baking soda does a great job of whitening naturally.

Besides the very important teeth sensitivity, here are other things I didn't love about my homemade baking soda toothpaste after two months of using it daily:


  • The bathroom sink became covered in an oily residue. Because I switched over to the paste instead of the powder, there is coconut oil residue in our sink. Not a huge negative, but it definitely made the sink harder to clean and keep clean.
  • My breath wasn't feeling fresh over time. I've read other homemade toothpaste users say they've also had this experience. Even with the mint, my breath wasn't as fresh as I would've liked.
  • Brushing with baking soda made me really thirsty. This is probably due to the saltiness of the baking soda. The bigger problem was I brush my teeth before bed, which would make me drink lots of water in bed, which would make me have to get up more in the night to go to the bathroom. I found this annoying.
Now, I'm not saying I've given up on the idea of homemade toothpaste. I've been reading lately about the benefits of Xyitol and the concept of re-mineralization. But, for now, I'm going to put perfecting my baking soda free homemade toothpaste at the bottom of my to do list.

So, those are my homemade toothpaste adventures. Hopefully they were helpful to hear about. Maybe some of you already knew I would come to the conclusion not to use baking soda daily on my own. Maybe some of you are using baking soda daily and loving it. Either way, I'd love to hear about your experiences!

What happened when you used baking soda as toothpaste? Have my experiences deterred you from trying it?

11 comments:

  1. We could never get over the saltiness of brushing with baking soda, but I've been sucessfully making tooth soap for over a year now, and our dentist says our kids have some of the healthiest teeth and gums he has seen. It's not as frugal as brushing with baking soda, but it's quite a bit cheapier than most natural tooth paste. I hope your family enjoys this natural tooth soap as much as mine.


    1-2 tsp. Xyitol or Stevia
    1/2 cup melted coconut oil
    4 tsp. Peppermint or unscented liquid castile soap
    20 drops peppermint oil
    2 T. Boiling hot water

    place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whip with a mixer or whisk until frothy. Place in a mason jar. To use dip your toothbrush into the jar. This recipe leaves your mouth feeling minty fresh and last a long time. It does tend to settle after awhile. When this happens I put a fork to whip it up again. Let me know what you think.

    P.S. I love your blog

    Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the helpful infoгmаtion you prοѵide in yοur articles.
    I'll bookmark your weblog and test again right here frequently. I'm rаther suгe I'll learn plenty of new stuff right right here! Good luck for the next!
    Also visit my blog post - loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knοw this website offeгs quаlity
    depenԁing content and additional stuff, is therе any οtheг web page whiсh giѵes these data in qualіty?


    my blog рost loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eхcellent pieсеѕ. Кeeρ posting such kind of іnformation on your blog.
    Im reallу іmρгesseԁ by yоuг ѕite.


    Thanks for shаring уouг thoughts on keyword.
    Rеgaгds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice responԁ in return οf this ԁiffiсulty
    with soliԁ argumеnts and explaining eνerything concerning that.



    my web page: payday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just been reading about using Coconut oil for this method of whitening.


    My page: forever white teeth whitening pen how to use

    ReplyDelete
  7. touche.... liver tabs it's for now.

    my blog post - mike chang six pack shortcuts youtube

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I locate some of these things to be annoying, they never impact my every day daily life and if it gets to the level which i do not desire to see any of it anymore
    then Facebook has several attributes to make these people disappear from
    your feed.

    my site - online dating tips for men first email

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it's rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.


    Also visit my web site: vigrx plus

    ReplyDelete
  10. also the gamma radiaition and kryptonite highly irrelevant superman is
    weak against kryptonite. not gamma radiaiton

    Also visit my web page; premature ejaculation treatment natural

    ReplyDelete
  11. I realize what you are declaring but hold in mind there
    are many ways it is possible to get funding for your education with out going straight to loans very first, also not
    all degrees are helpful,? I meet individuals that perform with me with AA,AS,BS degrees in FedEx,
    i perform and visit college but this guys are done with college, but note that they have useless degrees,
    social science, liberal arts, Chicano studies, And so on.
    .. they truly regret gonna college now they may be paying
    a good deal funds. but I know everything you are saying

    Feel free to visit my web blog - 60 minute stamina masters club

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
blog comments powered by Disqus