Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Homemade Vegan Toaster Waffles

I was talking with someone who said she didn't cook more things from scratch because she needed to have things on hand for convenience foods. My reply was that you can have convenience foods that you make from scratch! Here's something my kids love to eat for breakfast, afternoon snack, or those make-your-own-dinner nights.

Homemade Toaster Waffles

3 1/2 cups whole flour
2 TBS sugar
2 TBS baking powder
1 cup applesauce
1 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
2-3 cups water or milk depending on how thick you like the batter (Most often I use water.)

Mix the ingredients up into a batter.

Add two large spoonfuls of batter to your waffle maker and cook until light comes on or waffle no longer separates when you open the lid.

My favorite way to eat them: PB and fresh strawberries!
I make a big batch of these about once a week when we're in the mood for them. They freeze really well without sticking together. When you pull them out of the freezer you can put them directly into the toaster on the high setting. Or you can eat them fresh off the waffle iron.

I'm working on a big stack. I usually freeze them in glass containers.

I have also frozen them in zip lock bags and it works just as well.
 My mom bought me a waffle iron a couple of years ago as a gift. This isn't something I would've bought myself, but I actually do use it quite a bit. If you don't have a waffle iron, I would think you could also make homemade toaster pancakes with the recipe. You will just have to be more aware of keeping the pancakes a size that will fit in the toaster.


What your best homemade convenience food? Do you make your own toaster waffles?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
blog comments powered by Disqus